Summary of the Wheel of Fortune Tarot Card Meaning
After the Fool develops a more centered sense of self, they are ready to step out into the world again. But they are unprepared for the chaotic nature of change, and how rapidly the world shifts around them. They are coming to terms with the idea that not everything in the world can be under their control; that life is often a combination of free will, luck and the unalterable course of time. Here they must learn to exist amongst intersection of these things.
Light: Cycles, change, chance, luck
Shadow: Fate, destiny, repetition, recurrence.
To learn more, read the full Wheel of Fortune tarot card meaning.
About this Wheel of Fortune Tarot Card Spread
We’re basing this spread on the seasons, which happen to be a fitting example of cycles that are as inevitable as time. By observing the seasons, we learn that there are times to step forward, and times to step back, to act and retreat. Living in harmony with these macrocosmic shifts teaches us the wisdom of not wasting our energy when our outer environment isn’t aligned with our wishes; that would be a Sisyphean task.
Just as there are seasons, there are other cycles in life; and being ignorant of them in favor of never-ending linear progress often leads to misery. This spread is meant to help you see the cycles surrounding you.
Go Beyond Tarot Meanings
Learn the basics of the ancient esoteric tradition of tarot by starting your initiation ritual! Our app teaches you with simple, easy to use exercises while exploring our academy. Sign up to get the link!
When to Use This Tarot Spread
- When you need to look the events of your life from a wider perspective.
- As an overview of the year past and the changes in life that have occurred since then.
The Wheel of Fortune Tarot Card Spread
- Self - What is your current state?
- Environment - What is the state of the world that surrounds you? How do they influence you and your choices?
- Winter - This is a time of rest, of gathering energy. What are you taking a break from right now? What is awaiting renewal?
- Spring - This is a time of growth. What in your life is just starting to come into fruition? What is gaining momentum?
- Summer - This is a time of abundance, when everything is at its peak. What in your life is in full bloom right now? What can you appreciate, celebrate and be thankful for?
- Fall - This is a time of loss, of passing and moving on. What in your life is leaving now? What things are no longer needed?
A Note on the Fool's Journey Tarot Spreads: This is part of a series of tarot spreads inspired by the lessons of the Fool’s Journey, represented by the major arcana of the tarot. Since each major arcana card embodies a stage in one’s life journey, a lesson, or an archetype, we can use them as the foundations to explore moments of our own personal journeys. They also happen to be great ways to explore the meanings of each of these tarot cards in a very personal way.
For more of these spreads, please head here.